Frequently Asked Questions

What is Intandem?

Intandem is a collaboration of the Cattaraugus and Niagara County Chapters of The ARC New York (formerly NYSARC, Inc.). A nonprofit organization, Intandem supports individuals with developmental disabilities throughout Cattaraugus and Niagara counties with main offices in Olean and Niagara Falls, NY.

What is a developmental disability?

The federal definition of developmental disabilities covers persons whose disability occurs before the age of 22 and includes a mental or physical impairment or a combination of both. Examples of developmental disabilities include mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, Down syndrome, autism and neurological impairments.

What programs are offered by Intandem?

Niagara offers:

Cattaraugus offers:

What is a Medicaid Waiver?

A Medicaid Waiver is money that can pay for services for people with developmental disabilities. These services can take place in the person’s home or in the community. Both children and adults can be supported by Medicaid Waiver services. Medicaid usually pays for doctor appointments, hospital expenses, medicine, therapy and some adaptive equipment. The Medicaid Waiver allows for Medicaid to be used to pay for additional services. The state writes a plan that tells what kind of services will be provided under their Medicaid Waiver program. The federal government has to approve the Medicaid Waiver plan. The Medicaid Waiver dollars are part state and part federal money.

What if I do not live in Cattaraugus or Niagara Counties?

Services are available to other geographic localities that border both counties Niagara County and to those relocating to the Cattaraugus or Niagara County areas. Please contact Central Intake/Admissions: 


716 – 701 – 1135


716 – 504-2625 ext. 2230

My child will be “aging out” of our public school or BOCES program – what now?

If eligible, the special education student has options such as supportive services, recreational opportunities, clinical services and residential placement that are available through the agency. 

Individuals must have a developmental disability (defined as a condition occurring before the age of 22 that includes mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism and neurological impairments) to receive the following supports:

If Intandem is not able to address the needs of the individual, we will make a referral to another human service agency that can.