Respite: “time away from care.”
There are 3 types of Respite that are offered by Intandem:
In-home respite is short-term care provided by a well-trained, dependable respite provider, and is offered either in the individual’s home or in the home of the provider. Services may also include Overnight Respite in a provider’s home.
Site-based is provided in a certified setting and bridges the gap between the time the individual we support finishes school or work and the time his or her caregiver arrives home from work. The program provides a supervised and safe environment where participants are able to develop friendships with their peers, participate in fun activities, and develop their own senses of identity and belonging.
Also, site-based respite offers a recreational program a few Saturdays per month. These activities include bowling, going to movies, local fair/special events, and overnight events generally held four times a year. All which starts and stops in a certified site.
This service focuses on recreational activities and community integration activities, which begins and ends out in the Community. This may involve traveling to different areas or in a setting with recreational facilities (e.g. YMCA) or an event set at a Community venue. This is where the Individuals are dropped-off or picked-up by their parents/guardians at the location.
Highlights of this service include:
- Services to individuals of any age.
- Services provided in a values-based atmosphere.
- A “scheduled” break for caregivers from the demands of raising a special needs child.
- Assistance in areas of personal care.
- An intensive intake packet, completed by the family, offers the respite provider information pertaining to typical activities of daily living, favorite foods, sleep habits, behavior concerns favorite activities, levels of supervision, medication information, and much more. This leads to a much more fulfilling experience for the individual receiving the services.
- An introductory meeting with the provider prior to receiving services.
**To qualify for respite, the individual must live at home with his or her parent(s) or guardian, have Medicaid and be waiver eligible.
Respite Service – Youth
The Children’s Community Residence also offers a Respite bed that can be utilized by youth (ages 12-17) within the community on a scheduled or emergent basis.
The Respite bed within the Community Residence provides access to families for temporary care of a child. Learn More