Day Program Services
Day Program services include structured activities and supports to promote life-long learning, independence, community integration and self-esteem are the hallmarks of programming offered at agency locations in both Niagara and Cattaraugus County, including Niagara Falls, Wheatfield, Lockport, Olean, Allegany and Salamanca. All programming is based on the personal goals and desires of each individual adult. Services are intended to maximize participation in the community through community-based volunteer placements, recreation and career exploration opportunities.
The Day Habilitation program is a community-based day program that offers both classroom and community instruction. The program focuses on teaching skills to encourage independence with the goal of transitioning into the workforce and/or into a more independent residential setting. The individualized and person-centered program is designed to encourage participants to work on skills such as laundry, personal hygiene, computer, household and food preparation to name a few. In the community, the program participates in a variety of volunteer and recreational type activities that allow for growth in the areas of community safety, socialization, and making purchases. Support services include case management, medication administration, and transportation.
The Recreation program offers an opportunity for supervised access to local community events weekdays and other regional attractions. Events have included bingo, bowling, movies, theater productions, sporting events, and dining at various restaurants. The program also offers day, overnight, and vacation trips. These events have included Bills and Sabres games, Darien Lake, Splash Lagoon, Lancaster Opera House and an Adirondack Mountain getaway to name a few. Participants are required to pay the fee assigned to the trips prior to participation. Space is limited and participants are required to sign up in advance. Transportation is provided in the greater Olean area. All others are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Other services include:
- Assistance in personal hygiene, independent living skills, adaptive daily living skills, pre-vocational skills training and therapeutic recreation
- Medical oversight, nursing and nutrition services
- Occupational and physical therapy
- Psychiatric and psychological services – assessments, behavioral services, counseling
- Speech pathology and language stimulation program
- Senior programming and geriatric assessments – state-wide acclaimed individual programming and partnership with RSVP for senior volunteer placements
- State-of-the-art sensory programming, including specialized rooms for seniors
- Community-based recreation activities
- Community-based volunteer opportunities – home delivered meals, day cares and nursing homes to name just a few of the places our program participants volunteer
- Horticulture therapy in Niagara County through the Niagara Floral Center and Greenhouse
- Fine arts (Niagara) with New York State (NYS) certified art education teacher
- Camp Happiness (Niagara)— a traditional one-week day camp experience for people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities from Niagara County. It is offered at Camp Kenan on Lake Ontario through a collaborative effort of the Lockport Elks Lodge #41, the Lockport Family YMCA and Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara.
These services are available to individuals 18 years of age or older who have a diagnosis of a developmental disability and are enrolled in Medicaid.